

## Protokoll des Sektionsrats | PV du Conseil des Sections

Mittwoch, 13.12.2023 um 18:45 im VSS | Mercredi 13.12.2023 um 18:45 à l'UNES

### Anwesend | présent-e-s:

- Vorstand | Comité executif : Nadège Widmer (NaW), Benjamin Pierrot (BP), Emile Blant (EB), Melanie Holle (MH), Damien Richard (DR)
- Bureau : Elias Jordan (ejo), Noémie Widmer (NoW)
- Sektionen | Sections : Lara Flückiger (skuba), Jaasinth (VSPHS), Klara (VSETH), Nuria Regensburger (students.fhnw), Felix Ritzi (VSUZH), Jonas Bernetta (VERSO), Sophie Wang (FEN), Pedro Duarte (FAE), François (VSBFH)
- Assoziierte | Membres associés : -
- GPK | CdC: -
- Gäste | Invité-e-s : Sophie W.

### Entschuldigt | Excusé-e-s :

- Vorstand | Comité executif : Gazmendi Noli (GN), Shasime Osmani (SO)
- Sektionen | Sections :

## A) Formalitäten | Formalités

---

### 1 Formalitäten | Formalités

#### 1.1 Wahl ProtokollführerIn | Élection redacteur/rédactrice de PV

*ejo und NoW werden ohne Opposition als Protokollant\*innen gewählt. | ejo et NoW sont élu-es sans opposition comme rédacteurs\*trices du PV.*

#### 1.2 Bestimmung des Quorums | Décompte du quorum

*Das Quorum (für Beschlüsse und für Wahlen) ist mit 9 anwesenden Sektionen und 2 Sprachregionen erreicht. | Le quorum (pour les décisions et les élections) est atteint avec 9 sections présentes et 2 régions linguistiques représentées.*

#### 1.3 Abnahme der Traktandenliste | Adoption de l'OdJ

*Die Traktandenliste wurde ohne Änderung und ohne Opposition genehmigt. | L'ordre du jour est adopté sans changement et sans opposition.*

#### **1.4 Abnahme des Protokolls vom 27.09.2023 | Adoption du PV du 27.09.2023**

*Ohne Änderungen wird das Protokoll vom 27. September 2023 ohne Opposition angenommen. | Le PV du 27 septembre 2023 sans modifications est adopté sans opposition.*

## **2 Mitteilungen | Communications**

### **2.1 Bureau**

Lara (Skuba): why are Damien's communications empty?

NaW: I suggest you ask him directly.

### **2.2 Sektionen | Sections**

Nuria (student.fhnw): you can ask me if there are any questions for the motion. We are looking for a new boss again in our section, for the 3rd time this year.

Sophie (FEN): we have a problem with the semester's fees, we'll update you when possible. Otherwise I don't have many news.

Jonas (VERSO): regarding the media issue, we had a meeting with the school board. The canton of ZH asked the school board how many students will have a job afterwards. With the school board, we decided that we would not communicate anything externally until there are more news.

Felix (VSUZH): Our association won against the university in the federal court regarding fines up to 4000.-, because there is no legal basis for this. Next step for the university might be to create a legal basis for this

Lara (Skuba): Skuba nearly evaporated as they weren't operational as they only had 2 control commissions members but needed 5, but now it's temporarily solved. Yet this remains our biggest problem for the moment because they're still fearing some people might drop out of the GPK. The committee is trying to work with an event manager. We'll be 6 at the DA.

Jaasinth (VSBHS): we will have our assembly and hopefully a new committee a week after the VSS DV, we will also accept our new statutes. We wrote a letter regarding the new curriculum in Bern as professors aren't really professional about it and aren't implementing it accordingly. This will come out in the news in the next few weeks.

François (VSBFH): Nina will be our new VSS representative. We are working with the school to work on common principles

Klara (VSETH): one of our board members left after some issues within the VSETH. We are working on different projects but have less capacities. Some of them are VSS related, some not. Our plan was to have the consultation regarding the VSS bylaws by this AD, but it didn't work because we had a mix for the deadlines. According to the new timeline, we are finishing it during the next month. Then we can have a vote on it at the next DA in spring. We need a lot of feedback from the sections, as the goal is that the sections support the new bylaws.

Pedro (FAE): nothing special, we are very busy with the next DV

## **2.3 Kommissionen | Commissions**

No communications.

## **2.4 Arbeitsgruppen | Groupes de travail**

No communications.

## **2.5 Weitere | Divers**

No other communications.

## **B) Infopunkte / Points d'informations**

---

### **3.1 Mitbestimmung Recht bei den Sektionen | Droit de co-décision au sein des sections**

NaW: we want to do a round to see what your rights are with your school boards.

Lara (skuba): we prepared a questionnaire, that we would like other sections to fill out. We want to know more about your co-determination right as we don't have any at skuba. We believe it makes no sense to not have any student voice in the school board. That's why we need comparing facts from the sections in order to argument for this right. We would also know if you also have "Fachgruppen", meaning some groups that make the link between the faculties and students. We will share this document, please fill it out as soon as possible and send it back to me. Thank you!

### **3.2 Übersicht politische Arbeit | Aperçu travail politique**

NaW: Shazime doesn't need to add anything from what is in the document. If you have any questions for Shasime, don't hesitate to contact her directly.

### **3.3 Termine | Dates**

BP: do you have any questions or remarks regarding the dates?

NaW: we will still probably change around a Sektionsrat in April as we had to move the DA towards April due to the Board Meeting 86 in Geneva and the end of the semester exam. We'll revise these meetings for next time.

## **C) Diskussion und Beschlusstraktanden | Discussions et décisions**

---

### **4 Beschlusstraktanden | Décisions**

#### **4.1 Mitbestimmung Recht bei den Sektionen | Droit de co-décision au sein des sections**

NaW: we have received demands from members that they would like to have access to our Verteiler with email addresses of members. The issue is that there are some personal email addresses in this mailing list. Our proposal would be that we create a distributor list. This would allow you to send emails to all other sections through this distributor putting all the addresses in bcc automatically but without having directly access to them.

Lara (skuba): would it concern only the representatives email or also the people in commissions?

NaW: it would mainly concern all representatives but then you would also need to consider if you agree the non-members are also in the mailing list.

Klara (VSETH): I think it's very useful to share information, that isn't discord as it doesn't work.

Felix (VSUZH): I agree, it should remain on the VSS Bureau side but it's not to have the opportunity to update other sections.

Lara (skuba): as Klara said, I think the distributor option would be very helpful. That way the bureau also doesn't have to always play the middle man.

Klara (VSETH): in case of issues we can always kill it easily.

NaW: so I guess we can create this distributor. Would you include members or more?

Klara (VSETH): would it be possible to have two distributors? One only for the members and another one for the non-members.

Lara (skuba): I believe the one with non-members isn't as useful as they further away from our business and might not understand the issues at hand.

NaW: from what I'm hearing, the list with only the members makes the most sense, we can vote on this. Any active opposition on creating a distribution list with members, accessible to other members?

### ***No active opposition***

## **4.2 Vorbereitung 181. DV | Préparation 181ème AD**

Lara (skuba): for the Hokopo, we did the handover meeting after the first submission, we didn't have annual goals, we are going to change one

### **4.2.1 Englisch an Sitzungen | Utilisation de l'anglais aux réunions**

NaW: from our side, as you might remember from last DA in Basel, there was a postulate regarding the use of languages in our meetings. The postulate mentioned that we should conduct a survey regarding the use of English in two of the member council meetings as well as in one of the union's retreat days. Please give us feedback regarding what the best way forward is regarding this issue.

Felix (VSUZH): personally I think council meetings in both French and German are difficult because it takes time to translate. However, in English I believe some things get lost in translation. I personally would prefer it being in English as I think it's more efficient but I would

understand the arguments of the other side using the national languages. So my opinion isn't too strong on the issue.

Lara (skuba): I agree with that, I'm fine with both options. What I didn't like at the DE FR and IT meeting, there was a strong hold of communications through the German speakers and I think that's a shame.

Jonas (VERSO): I haven't been in the council since we spoke French or German. From our side we would like to use more English, as we try to have more international students in our association, but maybe English is not necessary here

Jaasinth (VSPHS): I'm against speaking English, not because I'm uncomfortable but we are Swiss and therefore should rather promote the three languages. I agree that past meetings have been dominated in German. But I believe if the chairing is done in French, it might help to have more French speaking people. I find it difficult to speak in English as technical terms are always mentioned in the person's mother tongue and not in English. There are probably other possibilities to use our diversity of languages with technology for example.

Klara (VSETH): for us it is sometimes a problem to find someone who speaks FR and DE for the meetings, do some other sections have the same problem?

Jaasinth (VSPHS): I don't think it should be a requirement to speak English to be part of VSS.

Lara (skuba): I think it is also a good opportunity to speak French (or German), it is a language of our country, it is worth to have a bit overstretch for translation because anyone is more comfortable speaking his/her own language

Pedro (FAE): at the beginning I didn't like the idea of speaking different languages but now I agree with Jaasinth and think it's easier to express ourselves in our mother tongue.

Nuria (students.fhnw): I agree. Every time someone speaks German I can fully concentrate. While we speak English, I understand but I feel my attention slipping away. We once tried a technical solution with the last committee where one group spoke French and another German and I think it wasn't bad.

NaW: Regarding all your opinions, we have supporters of both with a mild opinion and some strong supporters for using the national languages. Thank you, now the EC will compile your feedback and make a decision regarding how we want to position ourselves regarding that. We will present a report at the next AD. If we wanted to switch to English for example, we would need a statute and reglementary change (happening at the next AD). If not, we would find a solution to provide translation for everyone. Any further questions?

#### **4.2.2 Vakanze | Vacances**

NaW: Another point from our side, regarding our AD communication. We have two vacancies, one in the control commission as well as in the SOLIC commission. The mandate in the control commission lasts for 2 years.

### 4.2.3 Antrag Statuten | Amendement statuts

Jaasinth (VSPHS): I have a question for Nuria: regarding the article 43, it states FLINTAs. I was wondering why we need the L of lesbians. I know there is a history behind this term, but it sounds like lesbians should have to mention their sexual orientation. So I was wondering if this kind of information is required for such a mandate.

Nuria (students.fhnw): I spoke with Melanie and Nadège about all this, we don't want the statuses to be 50% women and 50% men but want it to be more open. We could also leave out the L, for us it is important not to refer only to two genders, that's what we don't like

MH: I totally understand your point, I've had this discussion many times (also with people from my party). In most organisations in Switzerland, the L is present. We have zero interest of knowing your sexual orientation, it's none of our business. But from the history point of view, the L might be important for some people and that's why it's included in other organisations in our country. However, we are open to change it if needed.

NaW: Nobody would need to justify what part of the group you identify. As long as you identify as part of the FLINTA population, no justification is needed in any case.

Lara (skuba): I've been thinking a lot about it, there are also men who are gay and marginalised, their sexuality also matters when the search for a job, you marginalise them but include lesbian women

Klara (VSETH): I have an idea for a workaround. We could just say we don't want more than X people of a specific gender.

Jaasinth (VSPHS): I think it's important that we keep the mention of F(L)INTA. But I believe that indeed, we don't need to include sexual orientation as other minority sexual orientation could be left aside.

MH: first, as a response to Klara. We already thought about this idea, but I think we should keep the F(L)INTA to use this term at VSS. Regarding what you mentioned Lara, I get your point thinking of gay men being marginalised. That's why I'm open to getting rid of the L and say FINTA to avoid any kind of problems regarding this.

Klara (VSETH): don't get me wrong, but as I read this, it's ok to have aboard that is 100% female, but not more than 50% men, I'm not comfortable with this

Felix (VSUZH): What is the intention here? Do we want to remove the binarity of genders or to change the meaning of the statute? I would encourage keeping it in a way that all genders are appropriately represented.

Jaasinth (VSPHS): I agree the wording is not good, but I don't know how to write it better

Klara (VSETH): I think that having a percentage doesn't make sense since if the committee isn't full, you might need to kick someone out. I would say with fixed numbers.

Felix (VSUZH): the suggestion with max. 4 of any gender, I think it would remain quite open.

NaW: I see the point with the percentages. About having not more than 4 spots per gender, we know that F(L)INTAs are not enough represented in these positions and that is why we want to include them specifically.

François (VSBFH): but if we say “not more than 4 per gender”, what happens with the agender?

MH: I agree with what NaW said. The first reason was that according to the resolution, we need to make an amendment to this rule as it's not in line with the resolution. I think we can all agree on removing the binarity of genders. The issue is how we want to write it. We actively want to promote F(L)INTA people to come to our committee. The chance of getting a full women or FLINTA board is very small as it's usually not these people that apply.

Klara (VSETH): if the goal is to treating all genders equally, this amendment isn't treating cis men equally as other genders.

Jaasinta (VSPHS): I have a problem with the 4 people per gender because people would have to announce their gender, same as for inter or non-binary people. Not every people want everyone to know

Lara (skuba): it's a tricky situation because you don't want to exclude someone, also cis-men. I think you need to put it on a scale, between equality of genders and potentially pushing someone to come out.

NaW: we now have some suggestions from amendments of the amendment. Otherwise we could have this discussion for the entire night. So please take the opportunity to use what has been said to suggest any amendment.

Nuria (students.fhnw): how can I edit this percentage thing? Because I see your points

NaW: you need to do an amendment to your amendment.

#### **4.2.4 DV Budget | Budget des AD**

Pedro (FAE): we talked about the DA budget. Are we planning on talking about this now or at the DA?

NaW: I've tried to get some information from sections who organised past DAs. Gazmendi and Noémie will have a look at these numbers to make the most sensible proposal, considering inflation and that kind of things. Unfortunately we did not have enough time to create an amendment for today. We are in favour of increasing the budget of the DA but I think it would make sense to involve all the members in this discussion.

Pedro (FAE): we are pretty unsure now because we had the guarantee that we would be financed but it's not the case now. If it only regards our DA we might close the point but otherwise if it regards all the further DAs, we might talk about it.

Klara (VSETH): not sure if that has anything to do with the email I wrote (I asked about the budget), it wasn't meant to be offensive, we were just wondering how such an overshoot could happen

Pedro (FAE): at the last DA, some people told us that if the budget was higher than 10'000 CHF it would not be a problem. Yet this doesn't seem to be the case. We are wondering if this budget is still relevant today.

NaW: we are collecting data to see if our budget is still appropriate, no changes made for 2024 for now because we didn't have the data, but if you want to make an amendment you can

NaW: the goal is to hand in an amendment to our budget for the DA.

EB: when we organised the DA in Neuchatel. We had two issues, first the prices have been rising due to inflation. And the last one was very crowded, meaning more beds and food. This ended in costs that could not possibly be covered by the amount of 10k. I would be in favour of having this discussion, as the amount of the budget must be appropriate.

#### **4.2.5 Open Slides**

Lara (skuba): someone asked if we could discuss the topic of open slides again. It is a program that leads you through an assembly, you also have all the documents in there. We use it and it works well. Why don't we use it for the DV?

EB: we now use open slides with ESU. It works pretty well as we all use the same language. I'm not sure it would work as well if we have different languages. I don't know if there's a bilingual option in Open Slides.

### **4.3 Inklusionsinitiative | Initiative pour l'inclusion**

MH: This initiative was launched by several organisations, such as SDG, Agile, Amnesty International who reached to us for our support. We already talked about it within the EC. Free choice of housing, anti-discrimination and full integration in society for people with disabilities. Switzerland hasn't acted on the disability rights convention from the UN it ratified 9 years ago, this is why this initiative was launched – to get things moving. As a students union, the students with disabilities are just as well touched by these issues, especially regarding the choice of housing impacting their ability of following specific study programmes. We would like to support this initiative as it's in line with our equality resolution. The question is how we can support it. We suggest supporting it publicly with social media and other channels, however we won't have to go on the street to collect signatures. I suggest that the VSS supports this initiative.

NaW: it is also on line with the position paper we published a few years ago (studying with disabilities)

EB: Is it a federal initiative or a symbolic one?

MH: it's a federal one, now in the phase of signature collection.



NaW: We can move to a vote: in favor of supporting that initiative formally  
Lara (skuba): I think it's great that we support it.

NaW: the EC spoke in favour of supporting this initiative.

***Abstimmung: mit 8 Stimmen dafür und 1 Enthaltung angenommen / accepté avec 8 voix pour et 1 abstention***

### **4.3 Wahlen | Elections**

*Please send all the new members (with commission or working group name) as well as email addresses to [info@vss-unes.ch](mailto:info@vss-unes.ch).*

Lara (skuba): Aaron was elected in HoPoKo and AG MGB last time. You need to change his name to the column "member".

François (VSBFH): Loretta wants to leave the AG MGB, Nina will be joining.

EB: about the SOLIC: we have a new president, but we are looking for a co-president for 2024.

Jonas (VERSO): David is not at VERSO anymore (AG MGB) so you can take him out. I will take his place.

BP: we don't have any changes regarding representations.

***Alle werden ohne Opposition gewählt. | Tous-tes sont élu-es sans opposition.***

## **D) Varia | Divers**

---

### **5.1 Varia | Divers**

EB: we are organising the BM86 of ESU. If you are interested in what we are doing or interested in joining the organisation, please text me

Lara (skuba): there is a request that when we have discussion and decision points, there lacks context on what we're deciding. It would help to describe the subject at hand in advance in order to discuss it in our section before the meeting.

Lara (skuba): is there a possibility to make a button to do a full download of all the DV documents at the same time?

Felix (VSUZH): or we can converge all documents and upload it at once.

MH: A quick information about the survey on menstrual products. Most of you replied and answered our questions, thanks a lot! To the sections which haven't responded, please do so as it helps us a lot. Otherwise the results seemed pretty positive, more than expected. With the sections where there is no offer, I will contact you soon to see how I can help out.

DR: I want to apologise for my presence online today as well as the lack of my communications.

End: 8:50 pm